Delivery driver Dave averts disaster after smelling gas

May 28, 2021

Alert Asda delivery driver Dave Joyce prevented a potential disaster after smelling gas when he dropped off groceries to a home in Bootle.

After being warned by Dave, customer Helen Griffin called out engineers who found two gas leaks at her property.

Regular customer Helen wrote to our Aintree store to express her heartfelt gratitude to Dave, saying: "I honestly shudder at the thought of what could have happened had Dave not brought it to my attention. I feel he's gone above and beyond."

Dave, who's worked at the store for two years, said: "The customer couldn't smell anything, but I've got a very sensitive nose. I just did what anyone else would have done.

"Thankfully she managed to get it all sorted, but it could have been nasty. She lives in a block of terraced houses so it wouldn't have just been her house which would have been affected."

Home shopping manager Nick Welsh says everyone at the store is proud of Dave's actions.

He said: "It could have been a really serious situation. It just shows that our drivers do more than just drop off shopping for our customers. They really care about them too.

"It was nice of the customer to take the trouble to write in and thank Dave."

Store manager Lee Keeling added: "We are just so proud of Dave – he's amazing. Our home delivery drivers are like an extra pair of eyes and ears out there.

"Gas is a scary thing and the situation could have been a different story if it wasn't for Dave."

Gas emergencies: If you smell gas or think you have a gas leak, call the free Gas Emergency Services emergency line immediately on 0800 111 999.

Share

RELATED STORIES