Quick-thinking Asda colleagues Scott Gannon and Maddie Furk have been praised for giving first aid to a four-year-old boy who collapsed and had a seizure in our Weymouth store.
Security colleague Scott and Maddie, who works on checkouts, together with an off-duty paramedic and nurse, gave first aid to little Logan and comforted mum Wendy while they waited for an ambulance to arrive and take him to Dorset County Hospital.
Thirty-seven-year-old Scott, who's been at the store since the start of the pandemic, said: "It was quite scary to be honest, but we just got on with it. Being in security I've dealt with adults having seizures before but not a child and, being a father myself, it was not a nice thing to face. Thankfully, the little boy is doing okay now."
Scott helped to look after Logan while fellow first aider Maddie, who's 33, called the emergency services and relayed advice and instructions.
He said: "We made sure the area was free of anything that could have hurt Logan and then, once the seizure had stopped, we just made sure his airwaves were clear and got him into the recovery position. He started to go into shock a bit, but we just made sure he was calm and comfortable. The mum was obviously distressed but we just had to keep her calm too."
Logan's mum Wendy, who's a regular customer at the store, told The Dorset Echo: "We were queuing to pay and Logan just went into a seizure. It was terrifying. I completely froze and I didn't know what to do.
"I am so thankful that he was in the hands of very special people who came to his aid.
"I cannot thank everyone who helped him enough and Asda were so kind and looked after my shopping until I could come back and get it and they even gave us a shopping voucher which they didn't have to do.
"My neighbour came and met us at the hospital and got my car keys so she could take my car home from Asda. Everyone has been so kind and kindness doesn't always come naturally."
Andy Lowe, the store's fresh hall trading manager, says everyone is so proud of Scott and Maddie.
He said: "They were both very calm and did not panic at all. They've both just recently completed their first aid training so to do what they did was fantastic. It was a great team effort."