We've opened the UK's largest refill store in our Monks Cross store in York. It now offers over 100 branded and own-brand products sold in loose and unpackaged format in an 18-bay refill zone, as part of our drive to reduce plastic and help customers shop more sustainably.
The loose and unpackaged range includes branded favourites like Yorkshire Tea, Kellogg’s cereals, Napolina Pasta as well as an extensive range of Asda-brand cereals rise and pasta, all sold at the same price or cheaper than packaged equivalents.
Customers can use their own containers to buy unpackaged products or buy a reusable container in the store and use that instead.
The refill zone in York is part of our strategy to remove three billion pieces of single use plastic from our business by 2025.
The refill products available in store include:
- Fifteen varieties of cereals including Kellogg’s Coco Pops, Cornflakes, Frosties, Crunchy Nut, as well as Asda own brand and Quaker Oats
- Original, Gold, Decaf and loose leaf Yorkshire Tea as well as Taylors of Harrogate Espresso, Lazy Sunday, Rich Italian, Hot Lava Java, Decaf coffee beans
- Twelve different types of pasta such as Asda own brand fusilli and penne as well as Napolina macaroni, rigatoni, green pea fusilli and red lentil penne and also Asda own brand and Tilda rice
- Dry Mars pet food for cats and dogs including Dreamies, Whiskas, Pedigree Mixer and Chappie
- A huge variety of baking and snacking lines including nuts, sugar and for the first time, Dr Oetker sprinkles and chocolate drops.
- Proctor & Gamble’s Aussie, Pantene, Head & Shoulders and Herbal Essences in a refill bay
- Three Unilever bays – one health and beauty which includes Radox shower gel, Alberto Balsam and Simple hand wash prefills, Persil laundry prefill as well as CIF eco refill at home.
- More refill at home products through Ocean Saver which includes wide variety of household cleaning for the kitchen and bathroom
- Soda Stream feature bay with 10 flavours as well as a Brita water feature bay.
The York refill store is the third opened by Asda, following the launch of our flagship store in Middleton, Leeds last October and the recent opening in Toryglen, Glasgow. A fourth will open in Milton Keynes by the end of the year.
The use of refill in all four stores are part of our test and learn approach as we work with customers and look at a number of ways to make sustainable shopping as simple and accessible as possible.
Susan Thomas, our Director of Commercial Sustainability, said: "Creating the largest refill zone in a UK supermarket is a real achievement and was made possible thanks to a huge cross-functional effort from Asda colleagues, and our supplier partners.
"We hope the sheer variety offered across our range of 100 branded and own-label loose products, plus bringing together several simple ways for customers to reduce, reuse or recycle at home, means every one of our shoppers can find a reason to participate in our offer, and help move us towards refill being part of every shopping trip."