Skip to main content

Quick-thinking Joanne saves little boy from choking on sweet

June 17, 2022 02:23pm
Share this on

Quick-thinking Joanne Lang from our Farnworth store sprang into action to stop a little boy from choking on a sweet after spotting he was struggling to breathe while out shopping with his mum.

Joanne Lang from Asda Farnworth

Joanne, who was working by the self-scan checkouts, rushed over to the boy, leant him forward and them slapped him firmly on the back twice to dislodge the gummy snake, which he'd brought into the store.

She said: "It was just pure instinct. It all happened very quickly, but at the time it seemed like forever. I saw the little boy out of the corner of my eye sitting in a trolley and knew straight away that something was wrong as his face was going red and he was having difficulty breathing. He wasn't coughing so I knew something was stuck.

"I used the heel of my hand to hit him on the back a couple of times and the snake came out. I think he'd managed to swallow it whole and it got stuck.

"When it came out the boy, who was aged about two or three, just looked at me with a massive grin on his face. It was such a relief that he was okay.

"His mum was in shock. She thanked me and then they left. I had a little breather and then went back to work."

Joanne, who has worked at the store for eight months and has a 24-year-old son, has some first aid training too.

She said: "I just did what anyone else would have done. I was in the right place at the right time. It wasn't really about the first aid it was about being a mum."

Joanne Lang from Asda Farnworth

Rita Charleston, the store's customer service manager, has nominated Joanne for an Asda service superstar award for her actions.

She said: "We are all so proud of Joanne. What she did was absolutely amazing.

"She single-handedly saved that child from choking. Her quick reactions really did save the day. The situation could have had a very different outcome if it wasn't for Joanne."

Our story


© ASDA 2024