Sales are expected to sizzle at Asda this week as the UK basks in glorious temperatures of up to 39°C – making it hotter than the Caribbean.
With many families taking advantage of the good weather and stocking up for a scorching ‘staycation’, the supermarket expects popular summer purchases including BBQ products, picnic items, outdoor furniture, paddling pools and ice-cream will see the biggest lift.
As the good weather coincides with the start of the main school holidays, parents looking for things to do with the kids are likely to hot foot it to Asda to bag an outdoor bargain in the George sale, as well as stocking up the cupboards with tasty roll back treats to keep them fuelled for summertime fun and games.
Family fun and soaring temperatures are predicted to see the supermarket sell enough ice-cream to fill two Olympic-sized swimming pools this week.
There is nothing Brits love more than a BBQ and a banger. It is probably no surprise that the supermarket is predicting it will sell two-and-a-half times more than the average number of BBQs it would expect to at this time of year.
Those looking to save a little bit extra on al fresco dining can take advantage of some red hot offers, including rollback on donut burgers to £1.50 and 2 for £4 on Extra Special sausages - perfect for a scorching summer celebration. Perhaps this is why Asda estimates it will sell enough bangers and burgers to cover the length of London’s Northern Line!
It isn’t just meat eaters who can get in on the BBQ fun. With an ever expanding range of free-from and meat free BBQ options, most dietary requirements can be satisfied this summer. From halloumi burgers to meat-free hot dogs, Asda has got you covered.
And it seems the soaring temperatures have got some customers hot under the collar, as sales of George swimwear are up 40%, beating dresses, skirts and shorts to clinch the top spot. With a further 20% off all swimwear this week likely to keep them floating at the top.
Predictions for scorching sales include:
- BBQ sales are set to be a flaming success and are predicted to increase by more than 250%
- Lots of Brits have already taken the plunge and purchased a paddling pool this week, with sales predicted to lift by 300%
- Ice-cream sales are expected to increase by a cool 90% this week with Asda selling enough to fill two Olympic swimming pools
- Getting back to nature and dining in the outdoors is proving popular, with outdoor furniture likely to bask in a 70% lift
- The supermarket expects to sell more than 4.5million BBQ products – enough sausages and burgers to cover just over the length of London’s Northern Line!
- Packing a picnic is proving popular as sales of pork pies, sliced cheese and coleslaw are set to soar to a tasty 500%
- Sales of swimwear are going swimmingly, up 40% on last year as customers dare to bare in the heat
- Animal print fashion continues to do a roaring trade, up 50% on the week as style-conscious customers search for prints to keep their cool
- Sales of shorts are a scorching success, up 90% on last year
- Shade-y products of any kind are popular this week and saw sales of sunglasses up 120% on last year
Top offers to save savvy shoppers even more money whilst they soak up the sun include:
- Rollbacks and low prices continue on branded sun cream, with Asda’s own-brand sunscreen products starting from £2.39
- Cool customers can save even more this week on selected ice-cream and ice lollies at 2 for £3
- Earlier this week the George home and clothing sale launched with selected outdoor furniture, BBQs and summer fashion included in the markdowns
- Who doesn’t love a beer and a banger? This week smart shoppers can take advantage of beers and ciders on 3 for £21
- Mini-unicorn fans can keep cool in the heat with the Intex Mystic Unicorn Inflatable Spray Pool, part of the 20% off selected toys and games offer