From this week Asda Pharmacy at the Stevenage Supercentre will offer a new virtual GP service for customers which is completely contact-free. Rather than waiting for an NHS appointment, Asda customers can access instant medical advice via a virtual appointment service, as part of Asda’s new partnership with Medicspot.
Patients can use the service on-demand whilst visiting the Asda Stevenage Supercentre without the need to book an appointment in advance, although online bookings are also available for those who want to guarantee a time slot. On arrival, the customer will have a video call with a doctor, which if needed, includes access to a connected stethoscope, Medicam, pulse oximeter, blood pressure monitor and contactless thermometer. The readings from these devices are shared virtually with the GP so that a diagnosis can be given and appropriate medication prescribed. All devices and technology are thoroughly cleaned between each customer visit in line with infection control guidelines
Faisal Tuddy, Superintendent Pharmacist at Asda, said: “This is an exciting trial at our Stevenage store which will allow customers to access an immediate appointment with a GP, including writing a prescription and collecting the medication from the Asda Pharmacy – all under one roof, and at a time when our customers are particularly interested in a contact-free service.”
Dr Zubair Ahmed, from Medicspot, said: “We are thrilled to partner with Asda to offer this service at the Asda Stevenage Supercentre. Medicspot is currently available in over 300 pharmacies across the UK, as well as a number of NHS GP surgeries and care homes. It's essential that patients receive more convenient healthcare to improve patient outcomes and we are excited to be partnering with Asda who share our vision of improving the health of patients by providing easier access."
To mark the launch, the service will be free to customers at the Asda Stevenage Supercentre until Saturday 4th July (21:00) when making an appointment in store. After this date the price will be all-inclusive at £49, with no additional charges for writing prescriptions, sick notes or referral letters.
Devices on site at Asda Stevenage
- Blood pressure monitor
- Takes blood pressure reading
- Important for patients with heart or circulatory disease, diabetes or kidney disease
- Contactless forehead thermometer
- The patient holds the thermometer up to their forehead and pushes a button to take their body temperature
- Pulse oximeter
- A small device that clips on the patient’s finger
- Used to check the patient’s oxygen saturation
- A close-examination camera that provides a live video feed to the doctor
- Used to examine the patient’s ears, throat and skin
- Essential to accurately diagnose a number of conditions including tonsillitis, laryngitis and ear infections
- A digital stethoscope that allows the doctor to remotely listen to the patient’s heart and lung sounds
- Essential for accurately diagnosing asthma, chest infections and heart problems
For more information and to book an appointment visit https://www.medicspot.co.uk/clinics/england/hertfordshire/stevenage/stevenage-town-centre-clinic