Asda has today announced it is putting additional safety measures in place to protect customers and colleagues in stores. The enhanced measures, which will be rolled out in the coming weeks, include:
- Extending the hours Asda’s 1,000 Covid Safety Marshals will be on duty at the front of every store from 8am to 8pm. These colleagues will be on hand to manage access, help customers with safety queries, and remind them of the need to wear a face covering and maintain social distancing when they shop
- Positioning Covid Safety Marshals in the busiest sections of larger stores to manage footfall and help customers to maintain social distancing
- Applying a protective antimicrobial coating to all trolley and basket handles to prevent the spread of bacteria. The same coating is successfully used to kill bacteria in the NHS Nightingale Excel Hospital
- Installing an additional 700 sanitisation stations at the front of stores complementing the 3,500 stations already in place. More sanitisation stations have been added within stores including a minimum of 10 in each superstore
- Automatic counting technology will be installed in more than 100 stores to manage capacity and help customers socially distance. In addition, Asda is trialling a queuing app in 50 stores where customers can wait in their cars before receiving a notification to enter the store.
- All tills will be opened at the busiest times to reduce queues and speed up the checkout process for customers.
These additional initiatives will supplement the comprehensive safety measures already in place such as Perspex screens at every checkout, refreshed social distancing signage throughout stores, and regular deep cleaning regimes.
Asda currently has good product availability in store and online and can reassure customers that they do not need to buy more than they normally would before or after the lockdown comes into effect.
Roger Burnley, CEO and President at Asda, said: “Providing a safe environment for our customers and colleagues to shop and work has been our priority throughout the pandemic and we are stepping up the measures we have in store to provide additional protection. We would ask customers to play their part by respecting social distancing and shopping responsibly when they visit our stores.”