Asda has today announced it is putting additional Covid safety measures in place to protect colleagues and customers during the busy Christmas shopping period.
In addition to the comprehensive safety measures that are already in place in all stores, customers can expect the following when they shop:
- Extra security colleagues on the doors of all 421 larger superstores between December 19th to 24th to help manage access to the stores. This is in addition to the Asda Safety Marshals who are currently on duty at the front of every store.
- Asda’s virtual queuing app ‘Qudini’ is now available in all 421 superstores allowing customers to wait in the comfort of their cars for a slot if the store is busy.
- Automatic counting technology has been installed in Asda’s 100 busiest stores to control access and help customers to socially distance.
- A protective antimicrobial coating is being added to customer ‘touch points’ in stores such as fridge and freezer handles and the checkout areas, The coating, which provides a protective film that helps to kill bacteria and viruses, is also being applied to all basket and trolley handles.
- New point of sale signage to remind customers to respect social distancing and to shop solo if they can to ease congestion in stores.
Roger Burnley, Asda CEO and President, said: “The festive season is always the busiest time of year for our stores so we have introduced additional safety measures to protect colleagues and customers during this period. These new measures will help customers to get in and out of our larger stores quickly and safely and we are confident they will continue to play their part by respecting social distancing when they shop.”
Asda is also closing all stores on Boxing Day this year so that as many colleagues as possible can enjoy an extended Christmas break with their family and friends. To support the NHS, some in-store pharmacies, will remain open on Boxing Day and customers that wish to use these will be greeted at stores by a colleague and taken to the pharmacy.
Stores will close on Christmas Eve and reopen on 27th December and customers are advised to check the store locator page on Asda.com https://storelocator.asda.com/ for details of their local stores opening hours during the festive period.