Asda has raised the bar for sustainable shopping after opening the largest refill store in the country at Monk’s Cross in York.
The Superstore will stock over 100 branded and own-brand products sold in loose and unpackaged format in a huge 18-bay refill zone, as it continues its drive to reduce plastic and help customers shop more sustainability.
The loose and unpackaged range includes branded favourites including Yorkshire Tea, Kellogg’s cereals, Napolina Pasta as well as an extensive range of Asda-brand cereals rise and pasta, all sold at the same price or cheaper than packaged equivalents.
Customers visiting the store from today can use their own containers to buy unpackaged products such as pasta, rice, tea, coffee and cereals or alternatively buy a reusable container in store and use this instead.
The refill zone in York is part of the supermarket’s strategy to remove 3 billion pieces of single use plastic from its business by 2025. The refill products available in store from today include:
- Fifteen varieties of cereals including Kellogg’s Coco Pops, Cornflakes, Frosties, Crunchy Nut, as well as Asda own brand and Quaker Oats
- Original, Gold, Decaf and loose leaf Yorkshire Tea as well as Taylors of Harrogate Espresso, Lazy Sunday, Rich Italian, Hot Lava Java, Decaf coffee beans
- Twelve different types of pasta such as Asda own brand fusilli and penne as well as Napolina macaroni, rigatoni, green pea fusilli and red lentil penne and also Asda own brand and Tilda rice
- Dry Mars pet food for cats and dogs including Dreamies, Whiskas, Pedigree Mixer and Chappie
- A huge variety of baking and snacking lines including nuts, sugar and for the first time, Dr Oetker sprinkles and chocolate drops.
- Proctor & Gamble’s Aussie, Pantene, Head & Shoulders and Herbal Essences in a refill bay
- Three Unilever bays – one health and beauty which includes Radox shower gel, Alberto Balsam and Simple hand wash prefills, Persil laundry prefill as well as CIF eco refill at home.
- More refill at home products through Ocean Saver which includes wide variety of household cleaning for the kitchen and bathroom
- Soda Stream feature bay with 10 flavours as well as a Brita water feature bay.
The York refill store is the third opened by Asda, following the launch of its flagship store in Leeds last October and the recent opening in Toryglen, Glasgow. A fourth will open in Milton Keynes by the end of the year.