With the UK set to be hotter than Hawaii this weekend and into next week, Asda customers have been gearing up for temperatures to reach close to 40°C – picking up all they need to enjoy (or some might say get through!) the heatwave at home.
From sun cream and fans to burgers and ice cream, this week Asda shoppers have been stocking up on hot weather essentials to enjoy during the tropical weather.
- Customers are clearly getting ready to BBQ this weekend, as charcoal sales increased 400% this week, with BBQ and grill sales up 195% compared to last weekend
- The supermarket has sold 4.5 million sausages and 1.4 million burgers so far this week, which is enough to cover the distance between Asda’s Head Office in Leeds and London’s Big Ben
- Burger sales are up 75% week on week and Asda’s Extra Special Sausages are up 14% - both selling more than the Jubilee weekend already
- Folding chairs and sunbeds are up 400% as customers look to relax in the sun
- Ice Cream sales are up 70% week on week, with almost 3 million units sold week to date – a trend expected to continue into the weekend and the early part of next week, as adults and children alike reach for a frozen treat
- As shoppers opt for a ready-made tipple to enjoy in the sunshine, sales of ready-to-drink spirits are up 72% compared to an average week.
Customers are also looking at ways keep them cool and safe as temperatures soar:
- Fan sales have increased by a massive 1300% this week, and Asda is expecting that number to double as temperatures continue to rise
- Asda’s paddling pool range has made a splash this week, as sales were up 1000% compared to the same time last week
- The retailer’s award-winning sun cream and after-sun sales have risen by 300%, as customers look to stay protected against the heatwave
- Up a whopping 78% year on year is sales of ice cubes at Asda, with strong demand as customers look to stay hydrated with cool beverages.