- Online searches for ‘Coronation Celebration’ are up over 500% for the supermarket
- The retailer’s iconic Union Jack print makes a comeback, following the sell-out of THAT dress for the Queen’s Jubilee in 2022
- Sales of the Union Jack Bunting are up 227%, whilst beer sales are expected to be 25% higher for the three-day weekend
- Asda has also revealed that four of its colleagues will be attending the Coronation at Westminster Abbey, after all previously receiving a BEM for their work supporting local communities during the pandemic.
Tomorrow marks a momentous occasion that for many, will be a once in a lifetime event, witnessing and celebrating the Coronation of a new Monarch, King Charles III. And, as the UK gears up to enjoy another bank holiday Monday, supermarket giant, Asda has revealed that one in three of its customers are planning on celebrating across the three-day weekend.
The retailer has already seen huge demand for products deemed essential for an at-home party, plus customer advocacy for limited edition items including novelty baked goods, fashion and décor for the home.
Flocking for THE frock!
Asda shoppers have rushed to pick up a Coronation-chic outfit for the occasion, with the retailer’s womenswear department reporting that its two Union Jack dresses took the top spots as number 1 and 2 best-selling lines for the week ending 30th April.
An Asda spokesperson said; “Last year’s infamous Union Jack Dress – which also complimented a ‘mini-me’ childrenswear option – sold out in just four days! For the King’s Coronation, we knew our customers would want to get into the spirit of the celebrations and make a style statement, so we brought the print back in volume, with two dresses in different shapes to give choice to our customers. Both dresses have proven to be incredibly popular – with one customer sharing on social media that she was packing hers to take to the Maldives on holiday!”.
Bring on the bunting:
The George at Asda offering hasn’t disappointed shoppers looking to dress their homes for the weekend, including everything needed to create a space beftitting a right royal knees-up, from bunting to balloons, flags and keepsakes such as cushions and towels.
Asda has reported strong week on week sales uplifts across its iconic Union Jack range. Specifically, sales of the Union Jack Flag is up +227%, Union Jack Balloons up +143%, Union Jack Paper Chains up +138% and the Coronation Cups up +135%.
Other best-sellers from the George at Asda homeware range include:
- Union Jack Bunting is Asda’s top-selling item, with 200K units sold so far
- Union Jack Paper Plates are the retailer’s 2nd biggest volume line, with 128K units sold so far
- Asda’s King Charles Mug, Union Jack Boppers and Paper Crowns have all flown off the shelves, with a 90% sell-through rate as we head into the Coronation weekend
- Over 115k units of the King Charles Bunting have been sold to date
- The Coronation Cushion and King Charles Teapot have proven popular with royalist Asda shoppers, selling over 3,000 units each respectively.
Preparing for a feast:
- Asda is anticipating a 110% sales uplift, week on week, across Clotted Cream products – with many shoppers planning to tuck into a quintessentially British afternoon tea.
- The retailer has seen a huge 187% increase in customers searching for scones in the last week
- Asda has also seen a significant increase in customers searching for Victoria Sponges, up 145% vs last week, as brits look to mark the occasion with a classic cake
- Coronation Chicken is also proving popular, with searches up 156% this week
- Asda customers are also looking to celebrate the occasion, with a British beverage with searches for Pimms up 147% in the last week alone
- Beer sales are also expected to increase 25% over the celebratory three-day weekend
- During late April, visits to Asda’s Coronation Celebration landing page were up 1500%.
Helping in the community:
The Asda Foundation has funded over 100 Coronation celebration events, donating over £36,000 to groups all across the UK.
Over 390 Asda Community Champions are supporting or organising community litter picks across the country to support The Big Help Out.
Hourly paid store colleagues scheduled to work on Bank Holiday Monday (8th May), will be able to request a paid day off to participate in the ‘Big Help Out activities.
An impressive total of four Asda colleagues have been invited to attend the official Coronation ceremony at Westminster Abbey, after having previously received a BEM for their work during the pandemic supporting their local communities.
Asda shoppers have taken to social media to share their top picks of the limited King’s Coronation products on offer, with fan favourites including the King Gnorman Gnomes, the Union Jack Midi Sundress and bakery goodies including the Coronation Cake Jar and Giant Dark Chocolate Cookie.
One customer tweet which pictures the regal Coronation Garden Gnomes in store has had almost 30,000 views, whilst hundreds of Instagram users have commented their excitement on @newfoodsuk post of the new Coronation Cake Jar, saying “yummy”, “yes please!” and tagging their friends.