With the school holidays in full swing, the back-to-school stock-up has already begun for many parents and carers. There’s a host of things to consider in the preparation for September – from new shoes and uniforms to a fresh stationery stash.
And for many, who’s not so little ones will be taking the leap to secondary school or walking to school for the first time from September – there could also be the added cost of their first mobile phone. Research shows that on average, there’s a 50% increase in Google searches for ‘kids first phone’ between June-September.
But, thanks to ASDA mobile, this purchase doesn’t have to break the bank. ASDA mobile has partnered with Nokia to launch an exclusive back to school offer meaning parents can get their children a high-spec smartphone plus, texts, data and calls all for less than £100.
Until 10th September 2023 customers can get:
- £20 off a Nokia C12 handset (was £99.99, now £79.99) in an Asda exclusive deal.
- Double data on an ASDA mobile £10 bundle deal for three months (was 12GB, now 24GB) *. Bundle also includes unlimited texts and minutes.
Both the bundle data and the phone deal are available as a combined deal or separately. However, if the phone and sim are purchased together in-store between 26th August – 2nd September, Asda Rewards customers will also receive a £5 bonus in their cash pots.
The Nokia C12 offers excellent value with all the features needed for a child’s first phone. Built with additional durability, the Nokia C12 is designed to help with accidental drops and the 6.3” HD+ display offers quality that’s comfortable to hold. The phone also comes with a great battery life and a powerful camera, complete with a selfie notch that means a snap with friends is easier than ever!
Asda understands that selecting a first phone is important decision for many parents and Claire Cragg, Head of Asda Mobile shares some considerations for parents to bear in mind:
- Affordability – Spending lots of money on the latest device for it to be lost within weeks isn’t ideal, so a phone that is affordable is a great option. There are lots of high-spec phones available for a lower price, but a refurbished or second-hand phone is also an option.
- Contracts vs Pay as you go - In a cost-of-living crisis, another large monthly payment simply isn’t an option for many households. Pay as you go sims are a great option for many parents looking to avoid being tied into a costly and lengthy contract. They also provide parents with an option to limit spending and time spent scrolling due to having caps.
- Parental control – A smartphone connected to the internet can be worrying for many parents, but there are many parental control apps available that can ensure children are surfing the net safely. Android phones tend to be more compatible with many of these apps so it’s something for parents to have in the back of their mind when selecting a phone.
- Durability – We know how clumsy kids can be at times, so a phone that will withstand a few drops is also a worthwhile consideration. A phone case and screen protector will also do the job too.
* For new customers only and customers must purchase the SIM bundle and set to auto-renew each month to access the promotion. Prices correct as of August 2023, subject to availability. Visit https://mobile.asda.com/support/terms-and-conditions for the full price plan and terms and conditions.
NOTES TO EDITORS
Double data offer on our 12GB for £10 SIM bundle to receive 24GB at no extra cost for up to three months. Available to new customers only. Promotional offer available both online and in-store. Customers must purchase the SIM bundle and set to auto-renew each month to access the promotion. Customers must activate and purchase their recurring bundle through My Account (online account). Once purchased and set to auto-renew, customers will be able to receive double data for a consecutive 3-month duration after which time the data allowance will revert to the standard 12GB limit. The promotion will be live between 17/07/2023 00:00 and 10/09/2023 23:59. To view and download your contract summary and information documents relating to your chosen price plan, visit mobile.asda.com/contracts. Standard ASDA mobile Terms & Conditions apply.
ABOUT ASDA MOBILE
ASDA mobile has been helping customers save money for over 15 years. Launching in 2007, the supermarket mobile business offers a range of low-priced pay as you go bundles with prices starting from just £4 for talk and text bundles.
ASDA mobile offers 99% UK population coverage using the Vodafone network and is available in over 400 stores in the UK and online at mobile.asda.com.