Exclusive to Asda
Food blogger Annem Hobson, from So Wrong It’s Nom has finally launched a Cheese Advent Calendar this year after creating a frenzy on the internet with her initial prototype. After trending on Facebook for more than 2 days and garnering celebrity support, over 11,000 people signed up to buy one in 4 days alone.
An alternative to standard chocolate advent calendars, the Cheese Advent Calendar will be available to buy in ASDA stores, nationwide from November 9th.
After pitching the idea, the calendar was put into production with the help of Norseland in Ilchester, Somerset; the innovative cheese specialists behind leading cheese brands, Jarlsberg®, Applewood®, Mexicana® and Ilchester®. Including 24 individually wrapped cheeses, the calendar has a unique ‘book style’ packaging design, allowing one half to be torn off after the initial 12 days of Christmas to maximise fridge space.
Annem who also owns the trademark for Cheester Egg comments, “For years, chocolate has dominated key retail periods, and as a huge lover of cheese I want to turn this on its head. After launching my #CheeseNotChoc campaign, the reaction from cheese lovers around the world has been phenomenal. I’m thrilled that Norseland have helped my dream product come alive and I’m overwhelmed by the support people have shown me. Asda are a brilliant retailer with a big team of cheese experts helping make this idea a success. To everyone who campaigned – I hope I’ve made you proud.”
The Cheese Advent Calendar costs £8 for 24 pieces of individually wrapped cheese. With 5 varieties available, the calendar includes:
· Jarlsberg® – Famous around the world for its distinctive sweet and nutty taste. Smooth, distinctive and rounded, it has a hint of sweetness and a unique flavour .
· Applewood® – A real English treasure. Applewood® is made from West Country cheddar with a delicate smoky flavour and a lovely smooth texture, all finished with a dusting of paprika for good measure.
· Ilchester® Mature Cheddar – Ilchester’s Cheddar comes from the West Country near where Cheddar originated in the Mendip Hills. Take a bite and let the creaminess melt into your mouth, with earthy tangy notes.
· Ilchester® Red Leicester Cheese – Smooth and Nutty! Add a splash of colour to your cheese board with this traditional English cheese based on a classic Cheddar recipe.
· Ilchester® Wensleydale with cranberries – Traditionally made with a smooth and creamy gold award winning Wensleydale. It is creamy and smooth and perfectly paired with juicy sweet festive cranberries.
All cheeses are suitable for vegetarians. The advent calendar must be kept refrigerated.
Asda’s new Cheese Advent Calendar will be available in Asda stores from 9th November with a RRP of £8.
More information about our award winning cheeses can be read here: https://corporate.asda.com/blog/2017/10/03/judges-at-the-global-cheese-awards-name-asda-as-retailer-of-the-year
About Asda Stores Ltd.
Founded in the 1960s in Yorkshire, Asda is one of Britain’s leading retailers and helps customers save money and live better in stores, online and through their mobile devices.
Each week more than 18 million customers visit its 645 stores - including 30 Supercentres, 392 Superstores, 155 Supermarkets, 33 Asda Living stores, and 35 standalone petrol stations - and websites, and are served by 153,000 colleagues. www.asda.com and www.george.com deliver to 99% of the UK’s homes and to its 538 click and collect sites across the UK.
Its main office is in Leeds, Yorkshire and its George clothing division is in Lutterworth, Leicestershire. Asda joined Walmart, the world’s number one retailer, in 1999.